Sunday, June 8, 2014

Give me that Old Time Religion

What a glorious day.  So glorious I had to write about it.  Today we did something new, that was something old;  that was to have our church service at the Catasauqua Playground.

I remember when I was a child, one Sunday when I was heading to the pool I came across a group singing at the Pavilion - Grace Hilficker was up front.  I wasn't a member of Salem back then but some of my friends were and I asked them what was going on and they told me that they were having their church service in the park.  I remember thinking, wow how cool is that.  Well today I could have that experience.

Thanks to bff, Tammy Lutte for organizing the event. And alot of other bff's for participating, it happened!

I got to the playground this morning at 8:00 AM and OH MY what a beautiful morning.  God surely graced us with a wonderful day.  We unloaded the car and then the other cars came, it was like a beautifully orchestrated event.  Not everyone got there at once, there wasn't any confusion and everything flowed smoothly.  The only boo boo was that we overloaded the electric strip from too much food.  LOL was that really a problem?

During the Service itself I couldn't help but smile. Pastor Mike had a great sermon about attending church.  Behind him some squirrels played.  The air was quiet except for the chirping of birds.  It was like nature cooperated with us for the perfect experience.  Everytime the wind blew through I couldn't help but think of the Holy Spirit, especially since it was Pentecost Sunday.

At one point I remember thinking as Judy, our organist sat up front and Pastor Mike was preaching-- how old fashion and relaxing it felt.  I made everyone hold hands for the benediction song just because I felt so overjoyed.  

After the service we had the BEST PICNIC EVER - I am still full.  And everybody mingled (perhaps because we didn't have our usual pew to sit it)  We played bingo afterwards for prizes.

What a great Sunday it was, great people, at a great park.  I like those Homecoming Arches, Catasauqua, nice job.  And the playground, pool and pavilion look the best they ever have. 

It makes you realize how wonderful it is to live in a small town, to have a wonderful Church to attend and caring friends.  You can feel the Love of God on a day like today.  You feel the love and kindness all around you.  You even share cookies and soda with kids who just happened by at the right time.  And best of all.........you feel blessed.

Amen and that's another day in Catasauqua

No comments:

Post a Comment