Wednesday, September 9, 2026

The Daffiness of Dementia

As if my mother is not funny enough, she has been hit by UTI's and Dementia.  Today she had me look out the window to see all the chairs outside at the neighbor's house.  I did not see any.  She said they probably took them inside then.  She has seen a lot of people go in.

Poor Ida, my neighbor, if she only lived the stories that my mom came up with, she would be exhausted.  Like the other day.  She saw 12 women, all dressed up and with lots of makeup on,
dancing on the roof, yes, the roof.  It was a wild party.  Supposedly the women saw my mom watching them and waved (how nice of them) and she quickly got away from the window.  I missed the whole thing.  Can you imagine?

Usually when she starts hallucinating like this it means another UTI or the continuation of the one she has had.  She drinks plenty of water and goes to the bathroom somewhat normally right now.  And now, I wash her every other day, so she has been keeping cleaner.  But if the hallucinations continue - or get worse I will need to contact the doctor again.

My mom has always been a source of entertainment.  Sometimes my true stories have been funnier than anything I could make up.  

I am used to her dementia - but not the hallucinations, sometimes they catch me off guard.  Like the day the soldiers came and covered Ida's house with a white sheet.   The whole house!  Well I argued, note to self, don't even try to do that.  

Meanwhile, I think I might finally feel retired.  I have nothing I have to do today.  So I picked another book from the "Someday I will read" pile and later I will enjoy the weather outside and read.

and that will be, Another Day in Catasauqua

No comments:

Post a Comment