Tuesday, July 5, 2016

A Patriot-ical Weekend in Catasauqua


 Militia men just hanging

What a weekend in Catasauqua.  The J4 Celebration started Friday night with a free concert in the Park, unfortunately, I did not attend.  It was called "I am too darn tired to get off the sofa night" at my house.   I really wanted to see the Monkee's tribute band, but walking down to the park that night was not in the cards.

On Saturday I did a lot of work on around the house. I cleaned, finished a patio I have been working on and even shaved the cat (let's talk fun). 

And then Sunday the J4 Celebration began, except it all happened on J3, which was confusing to my mind.  Since July 3rd happened to be a Sunday it was a little bit of a bummer because I missed the parade that went pass my house since I was at church. I always love the parade.  It might be tiny but it always gives me a little lump in my throat.  I missed Uncle "Howard Hahn" Sam and I missed all the flag waving.

Speaking of Church that is how I got the word Patriot-ical.  Our Pastor, Pastor Mike, was on vacation this past Sunday so John Lutte filled it.  I asked John if he could do something patriot-ical, if you know me, you know I mix my words up-a lot.  That was a combination of patriotic and historical, and John did deliver just that but with an added dose of spirit. Such interesting facts about the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

The reading of the Declaration
Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they?
Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.  Wow.  Something I never even thought about.
We did go to the Catty Park for some lunch.  Had a really good cheese steak and some fries, which I shared with the BF, Parke.  There were not a lot of vendors, which was a bit of a disappointment, but it was a beautiful day so it was still enjoyable.  

Antebellum Marine Band
Sunday night was the FIREWORKS and as always they do not disappoint. They were spectacular.  There was a concert first but I sit with family (Actually it is more my daughter-in-law's family then mine but I feel like I am part of it)  on the grass on the visitors side so we really can't hear it well. But that means we can gab, eat and laugh. As always I had a great time and it is fun to see the grandchildren and their cousins.  (and yes Rami - it is always good to see you)

Summer Kitchen/George
Taylor Mansion
Then Monday, off to JULY 4th at the George Taylor Home.  This is a bit of tradition for BFF Cathy and I.  We go every year (when it is not raining) to hear the reading of the Declaration of Independence and to hear the patriotic music of the Antebellum Marine Band.  This year, however, was even more special with a re-enactment of the reading by the Bachmann Players and the Northampton County Militia.  I loved it - it was so exciting!!!   BFF Cathy got to yell HUZZAH and she was so excited about it.  I mean, really, when else can you yell that?  (Oh now I keep thinking of places I can yell that at, darn)

So, another J4 has passed and I look forward to the next one.  Catty might small but it is rich in history.  I love seeing friends, I love patriotic music and yeah, I love another day in Catasauqua.





No comments:

Post a Comment