Sunday, December 27, 2020

The New Normal

 Let me just state that I don't like the new normal.  The normal means for me working 24/7 - and I don't like it.  When I was a little girl and I played "secretary" I sat behind my desk and my toy typewrite and pretended to work.  And I pretended to work 9 to 5 with a lunch hour and breaks.  Boy, was I a dreamer.  

I have a different title now and I am not sure the term secretary in used anymore, you more of a personal assistant or administrative assistant.  Although we do have the Secretary of State, etc., which mean something different.  

When Covid hit - working from home became the new normal for a lot of people.  I hate working from home.  I hear the tv, the dog wants to sit on my lap and everyone talks to me.  While at work I hear music, the dog is at home and everyone still talks to me;  but usually about work.  The fact is almost everyone I deal with is working from home which means everyone now has a different timetable they are working.  We have the early birds, the after lunch bunch, they hey I just start  moving at 3 and the night owls.  I just want to work 8:30 am to 5 pm with some sort of break at lunch, but that just doesn't happen anymore.  Because they work, they think I work;  and when someone decides they have a question on a Sunday afternoon they call.  

Guess what people, I food shop, go to the drug store, take a nap and cook.  I clean my house, go to church and see my family.  I do laundry, I like to read (although it has been forever) and crochet (same for crochet) and in the summer -- garden (which went to hell this summer).  

Maybe I am just to old for this, I come from a whole different generation than everyone else I work with.  I still can remember when I rested on a Sunday.  

Speaking of rest, I need a nap. I will say this, my Company is very good to me.  Although I think they sometimes live in that perfect world I dream about when they say enjoy your time off.  There is not a time I am truly off - I would have to go completely off the grid with no computer and phone.   I need to learn to camp or something.  To completely unplug, how nice that would be for just even a day.

Well, I am done whining for now.  Occasionally it happens, LOL, but that's Another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment