Friday, August 24, 2012

A Night at the Islands

Well, maybe not the islands, but definitely a special night in North Catasauqua.  I wrote about this last year, and it bears repeating, The Caribbean Steel Rhythms are great!

The Caribbean Steel Rhythms, formally known as the Valley Steel Drum Ensemble, first came together in 2007 at Christ United Methodist Church in Easton.

The group is made up of players from the Caribbean and the Lehigh Valley. They are the only known steel drum band in the area, bringing a unique musical sound to the region.

This is the 2nd time I have heard them play at the North Catasauqua Playground, and if it is possible, they were better than last year.  They played everything from reggae to pop, Christmas music to oldies.  The BF's Shirley, Beckah and I were singing along to "I can't help falling in Love" and "My Girl".  There was huge crowd tonight, another friend, Carol,  told me that someone said 600 people were in attendance tonight.   I can believe it, the crowd was so large I had to text BF Nancy just to find her!

Kudo's to the North Catasauqua Playground Committee for making it such a great night, with free popcorn, ice tea and some spicy Caribbean Jerk Chicken.  And thank you for my glow in the dark necklace!  North Catasauqua does a great job when it comes to providing free entertainment and refreshments and even setting the mood with some tiki torches.

And now, dedicated to the lady who was sitting in front of me, who could not remember the name of this song by Abba:

 Can you hear the drums Fernando?
I remember long ago another starry night like this
In the firelight Fernando
You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar
I could hear the distant drums
And sounds of ...........another day in Catasauqua!










1 comment:

  1. We had a wonderful time as well. We let our young kids play at the playground while we were able to enjoy ourselves. Thanks for the good chicken and refreshments. A special thanks to Tina and Eric Snyder for their dedication and commitment too the North Catty Park. We appreciate all you both do and so do our kids! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete