Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Faschnaut Day, Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday

I feel like I am falling behind in my blogs, since Donut Day came and went and I never got a chance to blog about it.  Donut Day or Faschnaut Day is an annual event here in this part of Pennsylvania and if you are a reader from out of the area you might wonder what a Faschnaut is.

A faschnaut is a fatty doughnut  treat served traditionally on Faschnaut Day or Shrove Tuesday, the day before Lent starts. Faschnauts were made as a way to empty the pantry of lard, sugar, fat, and butter, which were traditionally fasted from during Lent.


I had two yesterday and they were homemade and delicious!!! 

Now Mardi Gras, is not really celebrated around here, but this Saturday my church, Salem UCC, hold a Mardi Gras (yes I know we are late this year).  Our Mardi Gras is  a flea market, food and games for the kids.  It's still a fun time and we raise some money for the church.

Mardi Gras, refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after Epiphany and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday.    Popular practices include wearing masks and costumes, overturning social conventions, dancing, sports competitions, parades, etc.

And now, today, Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent.   Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of Christians as a sign of mourning and repentance to God.  The ashes used are typically gathered after the palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned.

So now I guess I am up to date.   I had the day off today so I made my halupkies or stuffed cabbage for Saturday.  Every year I make them at this time and Parke and I usually set the out in the snow to cool off.  Guess I can't do that this year.  My neighbor's crocus are blooming and I believe it is going to be like spring the next day or two with temps hitting the 60's, and that's what I call.....another day in Catasauqua.




No comments:

Post a Comment