Monday, March 5, 2012

Bye Bye Pine Street, Hello Traffic

Well, if you live in Catasauqua I guess you know this by now, but in case you don't the Pine Street Bridge will be closed starting tomorrow, March 6 until a projected date of July 7.  Oh my.

The Pine Street Bridge project is part of a more than $33 million Lehigh County bridge repair and replacement program of three river crossings slated to span the next four years, according to Director of General Services Glenn Solt.

Later this year the county will replace the Hokendauqua-North Catasauqua Bridge connecting Lehigh Street in Whitehall to Eugene Street to North Catasauqua. The replacement of the Coplay-Northampton Bridge will begin once the Lehigh Street span reopens.

At least one of the bridges will be closed through 2016, Solt said.

So, I guess we will be learning a lot of new traffic patterns!  I am not sure which way I want to go.  Going the Hokey Bridge is out of my way.  Going the Race Street Bridge is more direct BUT have you ever seen the traffic on Race Street at 5:00 PM!  Now, this is the only time you will hear me say this but I am glad I am laid off part-time because I go in at different times everday and sometimes these are not peak times, coming home could be a different story though.  I guess I could come home the Tilghman Street Bridge to Canal Road then up through the development to the light at Race and 14th Street.   My guess is we will all be using tricks to get around. 

Good luck everyone, try not to develop road rage, stay calm and that's another day in Catasauqua.

1 comment:

  1. the Hokey bridge has been a relic since the 50's. I am still shocked that our leaders didn't close both bridges simultaneously

    ReplyDelete