Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Top of the evening to you!  I've been meaning to write all day.  Did you every have a day where you thought you didn't have anything to do and then you remember - oops I have an appointment to go to.  That was my kind of day.

I got up early this St. Patrick's Day in search of a brisket.  I went shopping to Redner's in Northampton last night and they were all out.  I have never made one and for some reason I was determined to today.  I like corned beef so I thought, why not.  It was delish!!  I made it in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots and covered it with wedges of cabbage, it got very tender, a little salty for Parke, but he now knows that he to likes corned beef. 

In honor of the holiday, I thought I share some St. Patrick's Day Trivia:

  • It is said the St. Patrick Died on March 17th, hence we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day on this date.
  • St. Patrick’s real name was Maewyn Succat and he was born in Scotland (not Ireland!) around 385 A.D.
  • Leprechauns are the official shoe makers of the fairy kingdom.
  • Shamrock is the national flower of Ireland.
  • The Christian Church of Ireland was founded by St. Patrick.
  • It is said that St. Patrick died at the age of 79 in 464 A.D.
  • The St. Patrick’s Day custom came to America in 1737. It was first celebrated publically in the U.S. in Boston.
  • On St. Patrick’s Day, in Chicago the rivers are dyed green.
  • Green is affiliated with St. Patrick’s Day because it is the color of Spring.
  • On St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland people traditionally wear small bunch of shamrocks on their jackets or caps.
  • If you are caught without wearing green on St. Patrick’s Day, you’ll be pinched!
  • Traditional St Patrick’s Day food includes, Irish soda bread, corned beef and cabbage, Irish stew, and of course, Guinness.

    Ah, what I wouldn't do for a Guinness right now, but I guess that will have to wait for some other time.

    In the meantime -

     Wishing you a rainbow
    For sunlight after showers—
    Miles and miles of Irish smiles
    For golden happy hours—
    Shamrocks at your doorway
    For luck and laughter too,
    And a host of friends that never ends
    Each day your whole life through
    !

    Happy St. Patrick's Day and that's another day in Catasauqua.


No comments:

Post a Comment