Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fish on Friday



I was reading Tuesday's paper and I see that we have some Lenten Fish Dinners in the area. First I see that Holy Trinity Orothodox Catholic Church at 1023 Fifth Street, North Catasauqua has one from 4-6 PM,Fridays during Lent. There website at http://www.holytrinityoca.org/ lists the meal as including fish (hey no kidding) halushki, vegetables and desserts. Dinners are $7.00 for adults and $4.00 for children ages 6-12, Ages 5 & under free. Eat there or take out (take out should call ahead 610-264-0822). Also they are doing a Pierogi Sale $6.00 per dozen, fully cooked in butter and onion also Fridays during Lent 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM, call 610-443-0268 to order.


There is a second Lenten Fish Dinner at St. Andrew Roman Catholic Slovak Church at 1239 Third Street, North Catasauqua, 4:30-6:00 pm $8.50 for adults $4.00 for children ages 5-10 call 610-264-3384 if you need more details.


Reading these made me think of Fridays growing up in Catty. My grandfather was catholic and every Friday we would have a fish dinner. I really like fish and I can remember some great dinners of haddock, clams, the occasional lobster tail and my grandmother's famous salmon croquettes, which I really didn't like back then, but for some reason I am sure I would appreciate them more now. But what a really miss the most from those Friday night fish dinners are my grandmother's french fried potato quarters. They weren't french fries exactly, she would cut the potato in quarters and fry them. She would get them the perfect, they would be a golden color just slightly crisp on the outside and super tasty on the inside and not greasy at all. For some reason I can never make them like that. But maybe some things are not meant to be copied. That's what makes our fondest memories, those special moments that we cannot duplicate. I think I will always remember the smells and tastes of Fridays from childhood and now I think I just might have to stop by one of these churches for dinner. Hey... but that's another day in Catasauqua.

3 comments:

  1. Great job again Bev !! Loved it !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your blog on fish dinners. Can't wait to read the next one. Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great blog. What is it with frying potatoes, mine don't get like my Mom's either. I think you are on to something that some things just can't be duplicated but need to stay as a great part of our memories. Keep up the good blogging. yvonne

    ReplyDelete