Sunday, March 27, 2011

Trying to find Spring in Catasauqua


It was Sunday, March 27, the calendar tells me it's spring, the groundhog told me it's spring, so I decided to try to find signs of spring in Catasauqua.

First I say to Parke that I am going to take a walk and try to get some pictures of the signs of spring. He said he was taking a walk to the golf course and back so I told him I would join him, on the way back I would hit Hartzell's to pick up a prescription. As I gathered my camera and slipped on my jacket I turn to find Parke in a parka, knit cap and gloves pretty much his snow shoveling outfit. I sighed heavily. He said that Saturday he went for a walk and it was so cold that he was half frozen until he got back. I nodded and off we went. To my dismay, Parke was right, it was cold and windy out, I had to put my hood up and to further rub it in, we passed two sets of couples, all dressed like Parke.

Parke wanted to know what I wanted to get pictures of. I said flowers, buds on the trees maybe a robin, something that tells me spring is coming to Catasauqua. Well, along the way we did find flowers. I was surprised to see hyacinths, lots of daffodils and a rogue tulip here and there. We made it to the golf course and Parke said, "why not take a picture of the golfers, that's a springy shot." I said, "No, they are there any sunny winter's day to."

On the way back we split up as I headed to the playground. Ah, more signs that warmer weather is on the way. A girl on her bike, a boy skateboarding by, then it hit me, like a knife through the heart, someone had a "Let it Snow" wreath on there door with evergreens still on there porch. PEOPLE IT'S SPRING wake up and smell the pollen. Well at least their yard didn't lie, daffodils were blooming at the side of the house!

Then I saw them, 6 robins on the top of the 3 dips, I tried to get a picture but the darn birds must be adverse to paparazzi, oh well I did manage to get a picture of one. I have attached some of the pictures I took, the one of the pool house down of the playground is actually a picture of kids playing basketball over at the playground another sure sign of spring, kids at play.

Well, the wind might have nipped at my nose and my cheeks were rosy when I got home, but like the song sung by Bette Midler says, "Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snow, lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the rose"....and that's another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment