Friday, March 25, 2011

I think that I shall never see....



As I drive home from work each day I come to the corner of Pine and Howertown. I can't help but look at the huge chunks of tree in the yard on the corner. The big old tree that stood there was cut down, I know not the reason why, but it amazes me when I see the cross sections of that tree. The rings of a tree tell its history. Dendrochronology (wow, try using that in a sentence today) is the scientific method of dating a tree, mainly counting the rings. Every night when I pass by I think, wow that would make a great table. I get visions of carrying a hunk home and shellacing it, but alas, I think that would be an impossible task.

Catasauqua was settled in 1805 and chartered as a Borough in 1853, was the tree there then? Did George Taylor pass by that tree ever. He built his house in 1768.

I find trees amazing - did you know that there is a a Great Basin Bristlecone Pine still growing in a "secret location" somewhere in the White Mountains of California which is almost 4,800 years old. That means that tree was a sapling somewhere around 2789 BC or BCE which I just recently learned is more politically correct.

As I walked up to where the tree once stood, I was in awe, the beauty of the wood even more awesome close up. "I think that I shall never see, a poem lovely as a tree" was written by Alfred Joyce Kilmer about living trees. But a tree's beauty is more than trunk deep, its beauty extends all the way into the core itself. As I touched the wood I could not help but think how God is such an artist to make something so beautiful on the outside and on the inside.

That's just another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment