Monday, May 23, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays in Catasauqua


A friend of mine just sent me an email and she said she thinks there's been a planetary shift and we are now living in Seattle. I am starting to agree. I did manage to plant my tomato plants and cut the grass on Saturday while we had some sunshine.

Speaking of mail. I am a little disappointed in the school system in Catasauqua. When I asked my Sunday School students to address an envelope to themselves, which I would send to them during the summer, they did not know how. This exercise was a part of my lesson. The children I teach are 11-12 years old, one I know is on the honor roll. They told me that they didn't know how, that they were never taught this in school. It shocked me but when I talked to a teacher I understood why. The schools have to keep there test scores up and they concentrate on what the state wants. This causes other things to be shoved to the side. The teacher I was talking to showed me his cell phone, he says now we have these. Geeze, I remember having a pen pal when I was a kid.

One time I shocked one of my Sunday School students when I said that stores use to be closed on Sunday's. She said "Oh my God what did you do?" and she meant it. This generation does not know what it is like not to have everything available to them. Everything now is instant. We can send text, emails and even make phone calls when we are not home. I am not saying that this is worse or better. I use all these things to and love them. But I hope that today's generation also learn a few life skills along the way and learn to look up occasionally from their phones to see the world and smell the flowers. It bothers me sometimes when I see parents focused on their phones instead of their children.

I still like talking face to face and I have been know to send the occasional letter or card, I guess that makes me old fashioned.

But that's okay with me and that's another (albeit rainy) day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment