Friday, May 20, 2011

So, is this my Last Day in Catasauqua


I was just reading on the internet (and now it is on the 11:00 o'clock news) about Harold Camping and his mathematical prediction of tomorrow being the Rapture. Which made me think about the end of the world. First thing I did, was get a beer. Because we all know that in heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here.

But seriously, if and when the Rapture would occur I would hope to be included. After reading the "Left Behind" series a few years ago, I sincerely would not want to be left behind. But if I had a nickel for every time I heard the world was going to end, well, I would have a couple dollars by now.

My Grandmother told me the end of the world was near, pointing out apocalyptic signs at every turn. I think she started when I was 5 and I am now over 50. She's is gone, but the end of world keeps on coming. I remember in July of 1977. My born again friends had me so convinced that the Rapture would happen on 7-7-77. I remember trying to making sure my husband at the time believed in Jesus because I was going and I wanted to make sure he was coming with. (Now he is my ex-husband and now if he goes its optional).

Then there was Y2K - it wasn't the Rapture exactly, but it was suppose to be the end of the world as we knew it. All technology would fail and we would be in the dark. I stocked up on water and toilet paper, I don't why I did. The upside of that was that I had toilet paper for the next year.

Now I have questions like, what happens to our pets if we woosh. I mean God made all the creatures, he wouldn't let them behind would they. Who would let Digger out for me? And who is correct, the Left Behind series said that our clothes are left behind (So if you want to give someone a heart attack tomorrow just leave a full set of clothes out somewhere, like on the sofa, or in the car) but Harold Camping says we go in what we are wearing, so should I get dressed up tomorrow? Because I do my cleaning tomorrow and I will be in my rattiest of clothes.

How is Harold Camping spending the day, he says, "I'll probably try to be very near a TV or a radio or something," he said. "I'll be interested in what's happening on the other side of the world as this begins." So does that mean that God does this at different times around the world, and not all at once? Sort of like New Years Eve, would we in Catasauqua know before California?

Well, for me, I don't think it is tomorrow, I believe it will come "like a thief in the night" and that we will never know the time or day. And I like to think that I am a true believer, I believe that Jesus is my Saviour, and that through Him we have eternal life.

Somehow I think I will be doing my cleaning tomorrow, then heading to St. Paul's for the Night of Music, and that I will be back home studying my Sunday School Lesson and watching Saturday Night Live as usual.

Then I will get up Sunday, and all will be the same and that... will be just Another Day in Catasauqua........or will it?

1 comment: