Thursday, September 8, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away

View of the 1942 flood

In a book from the late 19th century, the lyrics are as follows:  Rain, Rain Go Away, Come again April Day, Little Johnny wants to play.

I agree with Johnny, the rain seems to be never ending,   I just checked the WFMZ website and there is more rain to come.

Thanks to the Facebook site "You Know you're from Catty or North Catty..."  I read that Catty has experienced flooding at least 2 times in history.  First, from May 20 to May 23, 1942, 5 to 7 inches of rain fell flooding an area that started in Walnutport  to Catasauqua.  There is a high water marker located on Canal and Mulberry Streets, which Bob LeFevre found and has posted over on Facebook.   I would go find it for this blog except, I am in my PJ's right now and really don't feel like changing until I have to.


On August 19,  1955, the Lehigh River in Bethlehem reached its highest recorded flood crest:  25.9 feet.  The flooding occurred because Hurricane Diane deposited heavy rainfall on the city and in the drainage basin of the Lehigh River, as well as on many other river basins of Central and Eastern Pennsylvania. Just a few days previous to Hurricane Diane, Hurricane Connie tracked across the region and soaked the soil.  The additional rain from Diane had no place to go except directly to the local streams, which quickly swelled and expanded to flood levels all across Northeastern Pennsylvania. (the previous month of July was the driest in 55 years)

Well, we have seen some minor flooding this summer between Hurricane Irene and now this endless rain, I am just hoping that we don't have anything major at this time.  In the meantime I better get dressed for work, and head out with my umbrella because that's.......another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment