Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas is over

Well, another Christmas is over.  It started like every Christmas, my mom more excited about Christmas than me.  I am sure she was up at 5:00 AM and she was secretly wishing I would get up so she could open her presents.  If she was sending me wake up vibes it worked because I had my clock set for 7pm instead of  AM but I woke up anyway.  So we opened presents and had some laughs.  She likes her sock monkey hat, I made her wear it to church. 

Then after Church it was home again and waiting for the grandchildren.  That's always a whirl.  I was worried I didn't get them enough, but they seemed to be enjoying everything I got them, and now I even think Bey Blades are cool.

After they were gone it was quiet, too quiet perhaps.  My mom retreated to her room and Parke was asleep snoring way to loud for me to enjoy TV so I retreated to my bedroom for perhaps my favorite and most unusual Christmas Movie, Bell, Book and Candle with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. 

The film opens during the Christmas holiday season. Greenwich Village Witch Gillian Holroyd (Kim Novak)  a free spirit with a penchant for going barefoot, has been unlucky in love and restless in life. Beside Stewart and Novak, it also stars Jack Lemmon, Hermoine Gingold, Elsa Lanchaster and Ernie Kovaks.

After that movie I watched Elf.  I found out that RCN has Holiday movies on Video On Demand, and I  see that Scrooged is on there, and I haven't seen that one yet this year, so that might be next.

I feel a little bit melancholy, the holiday is over, I am tired and perhaps a little burned out.  It always seems like so much work for one day. 

I was reminded today that I might think Christmas is difficult with a family - it can even more difficult without.  The thing is - if we believe in Christmas, then we are all of the same family.

Oh, there is one thing, I also believe in Santa, I swear with my hand to God that once I saw sleigh prints and reindeer hoof prints outside my window when I was a kid.  This morning I work up with a strange mark on my face.  I believe this Grandma might of got run over by a reindeer last night and that just might have been an incriminating hoof print.  Just saying.

Well Merry Christmas to you.  I am gonna settle down with a bottle of Pinot Grigio and toast the Baby Jesus.  Happy Birthday Big Guy.

And with that....it's another (Christmas) Day in Catasauqua.

1 comment:

  1. I just ran across your blog, and I enjoy it. Bell, Book, and Candle is one of my favorite movies of all time. I remember my mother taking me to see it, at either the Boyd or Nile in Bethlehem. I like hearing about Catty because my dad's family is from there. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete