Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Lovely Tradition

Once upon a time, 3 lovely ladies, all teachers of Sunday School started a tradition that lasts until today.  Those three ladies entered their chariots and travelled over the river and through traffic until they reached the establishment of one called Perkins, and partaked of meal early in the morn.  At that time they discussed the Christmas Holiday and the play that the little children of the hamlet of Salem would put on for the fine towns folk. 

Now, more than 20 years later, 2 of the ladies, still lovely they are and haven't aged a bit, travel again to the same fine establishment along with anyone from the choir of Salem in the early morn this Saturday.

I love traditions and the holidays are packed with them.

We have, at my house, an unusual meal Christmas Eve and that is cheesesteaks that I make before going to Christmas Eve service.  It came from a sad event a few years ago.  My grandmother passed away Christmas Eve and the next day we really did not feel like preparing a Christmas Dinner, so I made cheesesteaks, because everytime I would ask Parke over the past years what he wanted for Christmas Dinner he would say "cheesesteaks". 

Your traditions may be a simple as hanging the stockings or attending Christmas services.  It could be reading the Night Before Christmas or from the Gospel of Luke.  Maybe you walk through the streets of Catasauqua singing Christmas Carols.

Even if you are alone I believe in traditions.  Don't let this Christmas slip by without dabbing into a little tradition from your past.  One time, a few years ago I was alone on Christmas morning, but there was a package under the tree from Santa Cathy Claus that she snuck into my house that was marked "do not open until Christmas".  I still have the tag and hang it at the top of my steps.  Yes, I am a sucker for Tradition.

So people of Catasauqua, hang the stockings, kiss under the mistletoe, spin the driedel, sing Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, trim the tree, hang the lights and celebrate, because its another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment