Wednesday, August 17, 2011

From a Fallen Police officer to the Hershey Conference

 I was reading the paper this morning about the fallen police officer, Robert Lasso, the Freemansburg Police Officer, who was murdered while doing his duty.  The article was touching and brought a few tears to my eyes. But an article right below, in a section called "In the Burbs"  said it best -"The respect police officers receive in death is out of all proportion to the respect they receive in life."  

Yesterday I read this Facebook post from Catty's own Police Chief, Doug Kish, where he wrote, "Attended the funeral service of fallen brother Officer Robert Lasso today.  It was great to see the community support for this father, husband and friend.  May he forever rest in peace at the right hand of the Father.  Just can't shake this "pit of my stomach" feeling."    Yesterday I realized, that yes, this could even happen in Catty and that we probably do not respect police officers enough. 

So maybe the next time you see Catty's finest maybe we need to smile or tell them what a good job they are doing. 

In the beginning of August I attended a Joyce Meyer Conference in Hershey, and one of the things she said was to thank people for a job well done.  Tell them you appreciate them.  Do we do that enough to anyone?  Or have we become a society that expects everything from everyone without a please and a thank you.  I personally am bad at saying please to Parke when I ask for him to hand me something and he reminds me of that fact, but I am better at thank yous.

I love Joyce Meyer, she is an inspiration to me and reminder to me on how a good Christian should act.  My favorite thing is her one liners.  Not jokes, but inspirations.  Here are a few from the Hershey Conference this year.

"Miracles come in cans........not in can'ts.

"Teamwork makes the dreamwork"

"When fear knocks at your door, have faith and answer it and no one will be there."

"We don't need wishbones, we need backbones"

"With God you never fail, you just keep taking the test over...and over.. and over"  and last but not least..


'Focus on giving smiles away and you will always discover that your own smiles will always be in great supply!"

So smile today, at a policeman, or someone just doing their job, a stranger or a friend and discover....another day in Catasauqua

No comments:

Post a Comment