Sunday, July 10, 2011

A new broom sweeps clean, but the old brush knows all the corners.

Don't you hate it when you start a project and suddenly somethings happens and you have to run to the store to complete the project.  That happened to me today.  I was working on my patio in the backyard when I picked up my broom and it fell apart.   I just poured polymeric sand on the bricks and now I  had nothing to sweep it in with.  So it was off to Walmart and back home to complete the project.  Of course, Parke had a few jokes about me walking around with the broom like....to bad you had to drive over because you could of flew back.  All jokes aside, I thought I share some broom folklore with you.


Brooms are a symbol of good luck around the world. They sweep away bad fortune and protect against evil.

A new broom brings good luck and harmony to a home. A broom, salt, and bread completes a traditional welcoming gift:

  • Bread – That this house may never know hunger.
  • Salt – That life may always have flavor.
  • Broom – To sweep away troubles.
The phrase “flying off the handle” comes from broom lore. When a woman would get frustrated trying to chase her children out of the kitchen so she could finish with the cooking, a swat from the broom was a last resort, sending the straw flying off the handle and across the room.

In Sicily, on Midsummer’s Eve, a broom is placed outside the home to ward off any wickedness that might come knocking.

Never bring old brooms into new houses as a broom becomes attached to a home, so leave the old one behind. A new broom brings good luck and harmony to a new home.

Last but not least - the proper care of your broom!

Always store your broom hanging from a hook or standing on the handle.  Sitting the broom on the fibers on the floor will cause the fibers to bend.

And sweeping in one direction will make the fibers bend.  Sweep equally from each side of the broom.

I bet you didn't know there was so much to know about brooms, well now you do..... and that's .....another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment