Saturday, July 2, 2011

Red, white and Vodka

So, today's post is written on the keen observations of Parke (*special note from Bev, this story has been co-written by Parke, thus why it starts keen observations and not Parke was ranting, lol)  after today's trip to the Liquor Store.  It's been a few months since I visited the Wine & Spirits Store, as they are called.  But prior to being laid off, I would go into the one at Westgate Mall after I went to my Weight Watchers Meeting (yeah I know how that sounds). Someone would be standing there "offering samples of spirits" and once or twice I would stop and try a different wine, which I would end up getting as Christmas presents for different friends, or for myself.  That's how I found the Chocolate Wine (tastes a little like yoo-hoo with a kick).

So back to today.  We hit the Wine & Spirits Store in Whitehall.  I told Parke, I had a helluva week and I need some wine this weekend.  We go and to my joy there was a refugee from bartender school by the door pouring samples. I glanced, walked away, and then went back.  Yes, I saw correctly, they had Blue Raspberry Vodka.  I asked for a sample, and it was delicious.  Like a blue raspberry freeze pop, with a kick.  If you ever seen my smurfmobile, you know I have a thing for blue raspberry. Parke who had never seen State Stores giving away booze before) sees this and says,"Yes, a state run agency is giving away FREE SAMPLES OF ALCOHOL!! Alcohol you drink, then immediately drive home, or maybe to the bar, or maybe down a very busy freeway. That's the exact combination of events they've been spending billions of dollars trying to brainwash us into believing is the most evil thing a human can do on Earth.Oh, except when they're trying to sell $10.00 bottles of wine, I guess."

But that was just the start of the Parke's incredulousness. When we got to the vodka aisle, well, what did we see? Whipped Cream Vodka, Chocolate with Whipped Cream Vodka, Lemonade Vodka, my Blue Raspberry Vodka and Parke's personal favorite, Cotton Candy Vodka. "Who are they marketing Cotton Candy Vodka to- four year olds?" he said.  "I can see it now, you want the kid to go to bed and you say, here ya go have some Cotton Candy."   When we went to the check out, he asked, tongue in cheek, if they had Gummy Bear Vodka, the woman seriously answered they probably make it and we just don't have it.

Three Olives Dude Vodka which is like a Mountain Dew flavored vodka (I wonder if my son knows about this one?) is marketed to the "Big Kid" in us.  I seriously hope that it does not encourage underage drinking and I hope everyone drinks responsibly and uses a designated driver.

Me, I planning of walking tonight and sharing a blue raspberry vodka with a good friend of mine.  So if you see me later with a slight stagger you know it's .......another day in Catasauqua. 

No comments:

Post a Comment