Friday, November 11, 2011

When feet take flight

This morning I was doing my usual walk through Catasauqua.  If you know me, you know I am not in the best of shape, but I have been going out and trying to walk every day and even did a 5K walk last weekend.  So every day this week I got out for a walk.  Since today is my day off I decided to take a long walk up to Northampton and back, it's just a little over 2 mile walk.

My goal is to be able to run one day.  You see, old age, bad knees and a big butt has kept me grounded and I am even unable to run across the street.  I've tried. I even ask Parke "how do run?"  He tells me it's just like walking but both feet come of the ground.  It's been very frustrating.  Occasionally I try to run across an alley on my walks and it just doesn't happen.

Well, that's until today.  I was on my last couple of blocks on Howertown Road, and Lady Gaga came on my ipod shuffle singing "The Edge of Glory"  and the strongest wind came along blowing the direction I was walking and it practically pushed me.  I smiled and thought "God, you don't have to give me a push, I can make it home." The last couple of blocks I power walk and with the Edge playing in my ears and the wind at my back. it suddenly happened, I was running.  I was practically giddy.  I can only compare it to a plane that has been taxiing on the runway forever and suddenly, magically it takes flight and is airborne.

This sudden euphoria lifted my spirits and my feet.  I had done it.  For a moment I glimpsed youth, health and well being.  Eventually I thought chest would explode so I went back to my power walking.  No not really, but I managed to run about two blocks. 

What a beautiful morning in Catasauqua to take a walk, and even to take flight.

And that's another day in Catasauqua.

2 comments: