Wednesday, November 23, 2011

You know you are a Rough Rider when Thanksgiving is more than Turkey

On each Thanksgiving Day, the Catasauqua Rough Riders play a non-league game against their rival, the  Northampton Konkrete Kids. The game is not sanctioned and does not count as a win/loss for official standings with regard to playoff consideration within the PIAA. The rivalry which started in 1925 has been ongoing.  When I was really young I can remember Mr. Pfiefly, our gym teacher telling us that if Catty would win the game we would have off Monday after Thanksgiving.

It was such an exciting time and it still is for Catasauqua Students.  Back then we had the Bonfire, the Pep Rally, Homecoming and the big game.  Now they even do more!  I just read on facebook that one of my friend's home and been toilet papered, that's because I senior lives there.

That's my name, last one on the right.
I am so glad that the Catty vs. Northampton game is a Thanksgiving tradition.  I see students wearing some great shirts now, wow-wish we had them back in the day.  We got programs, which we use to autograph for each other.  By some miracle my Grandmother kept all my stuff in the attic and as you can see I have the books for 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1973.

I was reading some of those autographs, oh boy, did I laugh.  But ah....memories. 


Well, the turkey is hopefully thawed enough and the rice pudding and apple crisp is done.  Time for me to head to bed and prepare for.....another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment