Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving

What am I truly thankful for this Thanksgiving?  Well, I still have a job, and for only the 2nd time in 34 years I have off Black Friday.  No, I am not going out shopping either after midnight or tomorrow in the wee AM hours.  I prefer shopping online.   Although I am tempted to run to Walmart after 10pm for the Waffle Iron for $2.97.

I am thankful for Parke, my mom and my son and daughter-in-law and my 3 beautiful grandchildren.  This is my family along with a Aunt and few cousins.

I am thankful for my church family, choir and sunday school. 

I am thankful to and for God, I know He is there even when I forget He is.

I am thankful for good health and good friends.

Thanksgiving is like no other holiday. The turkey is probably the best known symbol of Thanksgiving, however, the turkey does not deliver any presents or eggs and candy, instead we eat it.    Pumpkins that we carved into scary creatures of the night, well, we eat it them now.   The apples we bobbed for at the Halloween Party, yup we eat them to baked into a pie.   Da Pennsylvania Dutch filling, we eat that now once, along with sweet potatoes, green bean casseroles and crescent rolls.  Thanksgiving celebrates the harvest and yup, we eat it.  I seem to be capturing a theme here.  But it is a theme seeped in tradition, since the beginnings of Thanksgiving in 1612. 

Well, Thanksgiving is almost over, the leftovers are packed away in the fridge for another day, and yes, Annette, I have the filling corners packed up just for you.  The desserts are still on the table but they will remain their for breakfast tomorrow, and Parke is snoring in the other room.  Ah yes, everything is right with the world at this moment in time. 

Oh I forgot one thing, I am thankful for you dear readers of this blog and for another day in Catasauqua.

No comments:

Post a Comment