Wednesday, April 13, 2011

As I was sitting at Happy Hour......


As I was sitting at Happy Hour today in Catty, no not what your thinking. This is at 11:00 AM to 12 Noon, Wednesdays at Salem UCC in Catty. There is a small lunch for anyone who would like to come, mostly seniors (and me). Since I do find myself not working occasionally on a Wednesday I like to go for a nice bowl of soup made by Shirley Turner. Today I sat with Dan Turner and I asked him about the Catasauqua Lake. Should of called him when I was trying to find out the information! Because as my friend LeeAnn had commented on Facebook about her father and grandfather going there, the Catasauqua Rod and Gun Club built the lake, thusly I am guessing that's why they called it Catasauqua Lake. Dan told me that he went fishing there alot, it wasn't that deep and he could wade out to the middle.

I found that Robert G. Gifford Sr. started the Catasauqua Rod and Gun Club, and that he just passed away in February at the age of 86. So I guess that gives us some sort of time line to.

So I guess that's one mystery solved, and maybe I will learn more as I explore and that's ....another day in Catasauqua.

2 comments:

  1. Bev, we used to to their to skate when I was around 12 or so. The police would test the ice and put up warning barrels. There were extra barrels around the side of the late to start a fire and get warm. This and the Race Street canal were some of the best times. Mom always brought some snacks but the really good part was the homemade hersheys cocoa when we got home. Oh yeah and we all had our own plaid skate bags with pom poms on our skates.
    We really did live well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are talking about the lake at Canal Park. If so, my husband's family owned the property adjacent to the park until his mother died. The county then purchased it and it became Canal Park. The gazebo near the road is where the original Koehler School stood. The school was purchased my my husband's father and the family moved into it when he was five years old ~ that would make it around 1943 ~ and the family occupied it until his mother died and the county bought the property. Our four boys each spent some time there during the summers when they were children. We have not lived in the area since 1960 but are both 1956 graduates of CHS. We come back each August for our class picnic at Pudliner Pavilion. We both have wonderful memories of growing up in Catasauqua. I have enjoyed your blog.
    Char DeWalt

    ReplyDelete