Monday, April 25, 2011

A Virtual Tour of Catasauqua



Google Street View is a technology featured in Google Maps that provides panoramic views from many various positions along many streets in the world. It was launched on May 25, 2007, originally only in several cities of the United States and has since gradually expanded to include more cities and rural areas worldwide. One of the areas is Catasauqua!!




Google Street View uses a fleet of specially adapted cars (and tricycles and snowmobiles when a car is to big or unable to travel in some areas) that are equipped with nine directional cameras for a 360 degree view. You can see road below and the sky above!


To use Google to tour Catty, first go to http://maps.google.com/ - type an address and a street view will come up on the left of the screen and a map on the right. You can either click on the street scene or use the orange google man, by clicking on him and moving him on to the map, now you can virtually walk around Catty. Some fun things that I have seen is at my house, my cat is in the window, because his eyes reflect the light so I know he is there. And on the corner of Walnut and Howertown, depending on what angle you look, Brian Kroope and another man are standing looking down Walnut Street with there backs to the camera car. It makes me wonder if they were watching the car drive around. As to when this car drove through Catty, my best guess is 2 years ago, maybe 3 during the month of July or August. See what you think. The picture I have included on this page is a screen shot of Canal Road where the Borough of Catasauqua sign is located.


What amazes me that the car went through most of the alley's in Catty so you can see the front of your house and the back. So, if you want to find out where something is before you actually go there, use google map and take a virtual tour around Catty, and that's another day in Catasauqua.

2 comments:

  1. pretty cool...when I bring my address in NC up it actually goes to the back yard alley intersection..so, yes they did go through all the alleys...it's pretty neat. Amazing actually...g

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you the view of my house was taken at least 2 years ago, because my late husband is in the back yard mowing.The first time I saw it was a little jarring, but now I find it comforting.

    ReplyDelete