Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Halupkies, etc.


Today I am a real hausfrau, as I sit here writing with my apron still on, my hair up in a rubber band from the morning newspaper and halupkies cooking in the kitchen. Those halupkies are for Saturday's Spring Craft Fair at Salem UCC located at Third and Walnut Streets in Catasauqua, which will be held from 9 am to 1 pm. There will be some other great food there, haluski, homemade perogies, hot dogs, chili, barbeque, and whatever else anyone brings. Along with a bake sale, silent auction, and oh lets not forget... the crafters.

As I was making the halupkies I was reminiscing about all the great ethnic foods that come out of our area. My grandfather was polish and that's where I learned how to make halupkies and my grandmother was Pennsylvania Dutch. They say "you ain't much if you ain't Dutch!"

Some of the food we grew up with wasn't the healthiest, oh how I love butter, but it was sure tasty!!! One day I was on the phone with Reggie from Northampton Water Authority and we were talking about the names in Catty, North Catty and Northampton. A lot of them end in a sky or vits. You think with all the different enthicities in the area we could have one big Slovak, Polish, Pennsylvania Dutch Festival (hmm the Sloishutch Festival) that would put us on the map like Musikfest! or like the Kutztown Folk Festival! But alas, one thing that I have found out, especially with halupkies, is that everyone makes them different and everyone has an opinion on how they should be made, and their way is the right way. Must be the stubborn streak in us, we would probably never agree on how to make them and then there would be a huge food fight with cabbage flying everywhere!

I want to give Charotin Hose a shout out and a thank you to Erik for sending me a link for their history which includes the history for the building that the Masons currently use. I can't tell you how much I have learned lately about Catty, its been great reading.

Well, back to the kitchen and that's another day in Catasauqua.

3 comments:

  1. My Mom is Irish (no great dishes from that side) and Dad was Pennsylvanie Dutch (great eating from that side)....no one should go away hungry from Salem on Saturday....how is Reggie at Northampton Water (what nationality is Marhefka...Polish, Hungarian?)...My Mom and I had a good discussion about the Charotin/Masonic Temple building....I share tidbits from your blog with her....it was nice to read after I worked today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. will you share your recipe? they look delicious!
    I grew up in Allentown and went to all the fairs.
    Now I live in chester county. Haven't had houlupkis since I was a child. Thanks for the memories
    Cathy Lewis
    Glenmoore PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can - of course my recipe is for 70 of them, lol - but you can downsize it.

      Delete