Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's in a name?


Catasauqua......we learn to spell this word in first grade. It has a flow to it when you spell it - it reminds me of spelling Mississippi. Did you know there is no other town in the United States with the name Catasauqua? (Thank God)


In 1840, the anthracite iron industry was founded in Catasauqua, originally Biery's Port, making it a birthplace of the Industrial Revolution in the United States. Welsh immigrant David Thomas relocated to the area and opened the Crane Iron Works. Remembered as "the father of Catasauqua," Thomas initially named the community Craneville, after his former employer in Wales. (Boy I am glad they changed it, Catty might not be the easiest to spell but it's better than Craneville.)

David Thomas founded the Presbyterian Church of Catasauqua. Thomas organized Catasauqua's first fire company, installed its first public water system, and served as its first burgess.

In 1854, the town was formally titled Catasauqua , from the Lenni Lanape language, meaning "dry ground" or "thirsty ground." (this is all according to Wikipedia)


My favorite part of being a Catasauquian (hmm) is when you call somewhere, perhaps ordering something and listening to the person on the other end try to pronounce it.


I like this entry in Wikipedia "The word Catasauqua is shortened to "Catty" in local dialect when speaking of the place." Local dialect, we have a local dialect? Local dialect is defined as words and phrases that are only used in a particular region/area/town/city. Parke is always telling me that he has never heard things referred to as I refer to them, such as buggy for shopping cart. Maybe that's Cattyspeak, or maybe it's just Bevspeak. And with that it's just....another day in Catasauqua.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I never call a shopping cart a buggy. That must be all yours. Great blog though. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been known to call it a buggy, I grew up hearing my mom call it that...when Joe's niece was young she said I lived in Casablanca....I too am glad they got rid of Craneville....another interesting read. yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Great blog!!! Catty has so much history, I'm proud that I was born & raised in this town. They're gonna call you the "mother" of Catasauqua soon!!! And oh, I call them buggy's too...g

    ReplyDelete